Sunday, March 18, 2007

Secrets, wind and trees

I stayed up way late drinking with my friend Green. Bean had wilted earlier in the night, that woman has no idea how to pace herself. As Green and I soaked up all traces of alcohol in the house, I suddenly felt the need to share an embarrassing secret with him. After I had unburdened, Green looked at me, well he tried, he found it hard to focus, and said, "You are a freak! That, is so fucking funny!"
"I know," said I, "that's why I had to tell you. But you've got to promise not to tell a soul, except Bean, it's OK to tell Bean."
"Of course!" nodded Green.
At the sight of him nodding and sitting cross-legged on my sofa, I blurted,
"You look like Buddha when you nod like that. Oh shit, sorry that was meant to stay in my head."

The following day, Green, Bean and I spent the afternoon with friends. After the most fantastic vegie burgers, we took a walk down to the beach at the front of the property (see pic below). It was one of those languid summer days, where you laze in the shade after eating, and you can hardly hear your own thoughts above the cicada buzz. We lay on the beach, talking about nothing and everything. The conversation gradually fell away as the cicadas droned on. I was on the verge of sleep, when Green decided that it was the appropriate moment to spill the gem of a secret he had been entrusted with the night before.

I lay with my hat over my face until the laughter of my friends subsided, then I sat up ready to reprimand Green. I looked at him, and there he was sitting cross-legged, nodding like Buddha as he says,
"If you reveal your secrets to the wind, you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees." At which point I pissed myself laughing, and had to go for a swim.

<span class=

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Rich | Championable said...

Major cool points for Green.

6:10 AM, March 19, 2007  
Blogger richmanwisco said...

and here we sit, with our legs crossed, yearning to be enlightened.

no?

well then, i hereby take your summer away and keep it here in the northern hemisphere for the next 8 months.

1:08 PM, March 19, 2007  
Blogger Callisto said...

Yes, Green is pretty cool, at times.

My disciple, enlightenment shall not be forthcoming, so I guess I'm in for that big chill. Ha, good luck...you know that it rarely gets below a daily min of 10 (50) here.

How are you going there with your legs crossed, no cramps, pins and needles?

2:29 PM, March 19, 2007  
Blogger Eileen Dover said...

Wow.

That is an amazing picture. I'm so homesick now...

There is nothing like being near the water.

10:02 PM, March 21, 2007  
Blogger Belongum said...

Hahaha... oh man - now THAT was funny! I needed that.

Good shot Green...

Hey C - long time no yarn - been busy.

Chat more soon... cheers mate

;-)

11:55 AM, March 22, 2007  
Blogger Callisto said...

Hi B,

Hope it is a good kind of busy that you have been, and that the new job is going well.

:)

1:12 PM, March 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home