Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Hover Flies

Laughter and champagne bubbles tinkled and popped, materialising through the gaps around the door and over the high wall. Traces of rose and water lily lingered in the warm air. Vivaldi cello notes escaped the confines of the garden, and drifted furtively to my ears. Unknown characters awaited discovery, I could sense their clearly defined principles, even from where I had paused. I smoothed black satin and inspected my ruby-lipped reflection as I waited, on the outside.

Door

But on the inside it was not magical, nor secret. I only wish I had stayed on the outside, where the unknown, the potential, and the imagined, flourished and buzzed around my head, like hover flies in the late afternoon heat.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Clarissa said...

I think I know what you mean.

Beautiful photo.

x, c

6:49 AM, April 26, 2007  
Blogger overnighteditor said...

Dreams and hover flies mate on the wing.

10:52 AM, April 26, 2007  
Blogger Callisto said...

Clarissa, I think I know what I meant too...I think.

Overnight, beautiful.

8:49 AM, April 27, 2007  
Blogger Melancholy Trollop said...

For some reason this post reminds me of something written in a J Peterman catalog. It should be followed with a picture of something made of silk!!

4:17 AM, April 29, 2007  
Blogger Callisto said...

MT: I went, I saw, I understand what you mean, and I am quite taken with this beauty from the catalog!

10:35 AM, May 01, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home