Tuesday, April 03, 2007

A simple, complicated man

At times, the man can be the biggest fucking pratt in the world, but, it was dad who recognised my anguish, when, as a teenager, my body broke out of its lithe shell, and bloomed so...fully. At that time, it was dad who suggested and made happen our run each morning on the beach. It was dad that used to push me to run that little bit further or little bit faster, over the deep, sandy track of the dew-covered headland. It was dad that would stop in awe of the dolphins surfing and fishing close-in to shore, and then take off with a laugh as I stood distracted by his Delphinus ruse. It was dad who advised me in his gruff, half-arsed way to concentrate on my studies, reminding me that boys, alcohol and the job he would not let me take, would all still be there in a year or two. It was dad who, in the absence of my mother, bought the most divine Singapore orchid, and helped me pin it into my hair before my end of school formal. It was dad I told, before anyone else, that my marriage was over.

daddyDad may well be the biggest fucking pratt in the universe from time to time, but I reckon I often hold that title myself, in his opinion. Yet, here we are, over 37 years since we first clapped eyes on each other, and I imagine we are going to go on loving/hating each other for a long time still.

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Rich | Championable said...

This was a really terrific post. I hope my daughter remembers to love me even when she hates me.

I have to admit something to you. I never actually fully connected that Pleasant Ave was yours. I thought you and that blog's owner were friends or something. I'm an ass.

12:20 AM, April 04, 2007  
Blogger Callisto said...

Rich, I know she will (if she ever does).

That you did not work out that Aesthetic and Callisto are one and the same - is just a little bit funny. But, I don't think you are alone there.


Callisto/Aesthetic

Like

Diana Prince/Wonder Woman

(I'm so funny!)

5:05 AM, April 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that was a really beautiful post. thanks.

(nice new layout by the way..)

9:16 AM, April 04, 2007  
Blogger thesmu said...

hey - that was me, sorry!

9:17 AM, April 04, 2007  
Blogger Callisto said...

Anonymous, did you know that you are really MS?

MS: Thank you and thank you.

Overnight: Thank you. I've never held back letting my father know when he is being a bastard, but I've also never held back letting him know how much I love him. Obviously, at the moment I'm in the love-him-zone, next week, things may swing back...

8:10 PM, April 04, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'm what?? ;)

6:26 AM, April 16, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm the only anon in tha village.

11:08 AM, April 16, 2007  
Blogger thesmu said...

:)

very funny

6:40 PM, April 16, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home