Thursday, June 14, 2007

Jaded Meme

Thanks to the lovely Jaded Lotus for the prompt.

I was never really into mainstream, so as I perused the list of number 1's from 1988, my memories were along the lines of "That's crap, that's crap, that's crap!" and, "Oooh I hated that!" Still, as '88 was the first year of my life out of the nest, there were some stand-outs.


Need You Tonight - INXS: Anything from the Kick album reminded me of the last days I'd recently spent with my high-school friends getting pissed, and sun-burnt to hell, in Yamba, before we broke apart and went off to obscure and out-of-the-way universities (oh wait, that was just me, those with any sense just headed to Sydney).

Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley: Reminds me of how odd I used to think Rick Astley's voice was. I used to imagine his balls were the size of watermelons, and actually thought that I was hilarious to conjure such an image. It was a staple of the nightclubs (all two of them) in the town I was in. As I think back to that place in the space-time continuum, I can actually taste Bacardi and coke, which is tragic, I know.



Wishing Well - Terence Trent D'Arby: Wine and cheese afternoons in the front yard of my new best-friend's gay neighbour's house. Now I knew gay people, who were not in the closet, how grown up was I? (at this point you'll no doubt assume, and be correct, that I was from a very small coastal town). The wine was at best, bad, and the cheese was No Frills tasty, and the music was always Terence Trent D'Arby or Tracy Chapman. Oh, good times!

Sweet Child O' Mine Guns N' Roses: I heard this song...and I loved it, I hated myself on the spot. When I started to think Axl was cute, I hated myself even more. What the fuck was happening to me?

Red Red Wine - UB40: I hated this song. I only started listening to UB40, because I was truly, madly, deeply (for about 5 seconds) with a guy who liked them. But it started something, because I've seen them live 3 times, but I've come to my senses, finally.

So there you have it, please feel free to participate, or not.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How *did* Rick Astley get that voice? He looked like a schoolboy, and yet, there was that voice. As for Terence Trent D'Arby... I spent many nights in 1988 falling asleep to the sound of Introducing The Hardline... (on my Walkman headphones, of course) Those *were* good times!

Thanks for playing.

8:11 PM, June 14, 2007  
Blogger Rich | Championable said...

"New Sensation," baby. A whole world of semi-good memories on that one.

7:04 AM, June 15, 2007  
Blogger Melancholy Trollop said...

Okay, I am WAY older than almost everyone but God and I was listening to Queen, Rolling Stones, Arrowsmith, America, Loggins and Messina, etc. What cracks me up is that some of the groups I listened to as a teenager are still rockin out!!!

9:08 AM, June 15, 2007  
Blogger richmanwisco said...

lessee....1988...i was a young lieutenant at fort riley, kansas. i seem to remember that tiffany was big on the mall circuit. were the men without hats safety dancing at that time? flock of seagulls pooped out by then?

12:18 PM, June 15, 2007  
Blogger Callisto said...

Walkmans rocked.

INXS rocked (circa 1980-7), and then sucked.

You are only as old you feel, let's ignore age.

Kansas AND Tiffany, mate you had it all back then...

11:41 PM, June 15, 2007  
Blogger Belongum said...

Ya spring chook you... 88 - Ha!

86 for me mate - lol... yeah REALLY old and mature eh?! ;-)

Simply Red, Peter Gabriel, Robert Palmer, Huey Lewis and the News, The Bangles (Walk like an Egyptian - remember that well), Cyndi Lauper - true colours - liked that. Ummmm, Madonna... not so much because I liked her - but my bro and my mate were MAD for her - never EVER heard the end of it! And I HATED Prince!!!

I think Top Gun came out that year... gung ho sorta bloke flick and that Kelly Mcwotsit was sorta hot, or so we thought back then. People liked Tom Cruise then and struggled to spell Scyen... sighen... sy-yen... Scientology!

For bloody good reason Mr Hubbard!

Bugger - ;-)

Seeya mate - hope all's well!

Cheers

10:32 PM, June 16, 2007  
Blogger thesmu said...

great post!

rick astley always reminded me of the kid on the front of MAD comics. he gave me the creeps.

8:04 PM, June 25, 2007  
Blogger Callisto said...

'86 you say, you old bugger Belongum!
Oh the mid 80's had it all, even Scientology ;) cheers to you.

MS, yes he was just like that kid! thanks xx

4:26 PM, June 26, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home