Friday, June 08, 2007

The things you learn (or must stop being a bitch to strangers)

Coffee"NO, DARL, NO!" the virtual stranger asserted, just as I was about to pour the freshly boiled water into her instant coffee.
"Oh, sorry," I said, and I may have looked at her like she was a bit mental.
"I haven't added the milk yet, Darl," she said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.
"Cripes, I'm soooo sorry, Lovey," the sarcasm escaped from me before I could self-regulate (NTS: must find my copy of How to Win Friends and Influence People, and actually read it).
"No worries Darl, it makes all the diff is all," she was still smiling, so I guess my sarcasm slid off her back, which is good, because I regreted it as soon as it issued from my mean mouth.

Anyway, over the last few days, when I've been too slack to bother with stove-top, real coffee, I've had a few 'instants', and I thought, well, may as well try it. And, can you believe that it took 30 plus years for me to discover the truth? Instant shitty coffee really does taste better, almost 'sorta-good' even, when you add the milk before the water.

"Thanks, Darl!"

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how odd , I learnt that fact only last week too, and it really is true ! My friend made me do a 'blindfold' test to prove his point .......

4:31 PM, June 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something about 'scalding' the coffee, instant or otherwise.

9:26 PM, June 08, 2007  
Blogger Callisto said...

Isabelle, that is odd, like some kind of Instant Coffee Strikes Back...or something.

JL, I looked up wikihow on how to make good instant coffee, and step one includes this, "Put water in a kettle and plug it in." !!!

7:56 AM, June 09, 2007  
Blogger Clarissa said...

That is a top tip! Thanks.

6:41 PM, June 09, 2007  
Blogger Rich | Championable said...

I refuse to believe you.

9:50 AM, June 12, 2007  
Blogger Callisto said...

Clarissa, indeed, but don't forget to "Put water in a kettle and plug it in."

Rich, I may have been exaggerating a tad when I said "sorta-good".

12:29 PM, June 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home